Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Time For Advice!! Please!

Okay Moms, I need advice (please). My sweet angel baby has been sleeping great at night....until I commented on it and told someone how great of a night time sleeper she is (was). The past week or so, I can't figure it out. One night she'll go from about 9:30-10pm to 4:30 am, which leads me to think it is not a growth spurt (??), and the next night she'll sleep for 2 hours at a time which feels like back to the newborn days. What gives?

I read Babywise (again) and it said at this point she could easily go from a 3 hour daytime schedule to a 3 1/2-4 hour schedule. We haven't done that, could that be the problem? It also says a breastfed baby her age could sleep 10 hours. Does this happen? I will be very happy with 6 hour stretches (or a little less), if they were consistent. I just don't understand why their changing day to day? Could teeth do this? She's still sleeping great during her daytime naps.

Today I started operation Sleep, and have gone to a STRICT three hour schedule to see if this helps. Any advice, tips, anything at all, I would greatly appreciate. Thank you!!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I have a bunch of questions...when she wakes after 2 hrs does she seem uncomforable (if so maybe it's something you are eating)? Could she be constipated? Is she still swaddled? Maybe she's ready to out grow the swaddle? Can she roll over - if so it's probably time to ditch the swaddle. Does she have a pacifier? Is it cooler in her room than normal? All these things could contribute or it could be a complete fluke...it's so easy for them to start bad habits (such as waking every 2 hrs at night) and breaking the habit is harder than starting it.

Also, you may want to start helping her learn to put herself back to sleep. If it's not a growth spurt (if she's not waking to eat) then try patting her on her bottom, turning on her music mobile, rubbing her head, etc and see if she can soothe herself back to sleep.

Good luck!

Tara said...

This parenting thing is so hard! I've often heard it said "Right when they start on a great schedule, something changes." And that's been true for our two as well.

I have had to read and reread Babywise every time my kids do this. Since she's content during the day, and still sleeping, that makes me think that its not a growth spurt. Yes, I would do a strict 3-hour schedule during the day and then try comforting her back to sleep at night (patting her, shushing, crying it out for 2-3 min at a time, not picking her up) and see if she'll work herself back to sleep.

My two are still eating on a 3 hour schedule during the day and I can remember going more to a 4 hour schedule once solids are introduced with the Nats. So try to stay at the 3 hour schedule until she's sleeping good through the night. (And just now, have my two started doing a good 10 hour stretch consistently. Normally its been 4 hours, I feed them before I go to bed, and then they last 6-7 more hours. This week though, they've been doing 8:30-6:30. Wahoo!) Good luck! Praying for you!

lee and hannah said...

eden's done the same thing... according to our PEDIATRICIAN, (we had a long conversation about this--i'll be glad to go into more detail via email, as not to cram your comment section)

babies become aware of their surroundings and "out of sight" is NOT "out of mind", if you're sure all of her needs are met (doesn't need a diaper, and isn't hungry), try calming her and reassuring her that you're still "there"... talking, rubbing, soothing, patting... whatever!

...eventually, you will to the "reassuring" without touching--so she can HEAR you, but can't see you... etc. etc....

but sadly, i think its just a fact of babyhood... their schedules are CONSTANTLY changing and she may be waking up because she's hungry and growing :) (even if its not a growth spurt)... eden's has gone through about 5 or 6 different ones now and i'm CONVINCED that what triggers the change is my praising her for being such a good sleeping baby! :) hah!

just tell yourself "this too shall pass, she will be grown before i know i and i will want these days back"...that's what i tell myself as i'm climbing those stairs at 3am. [sigh] and if i say it enough it works! and gosh, as soon as she sees me, she's so glad i'm there!! (like ruthie's naptime game!)

good luck! :)

Graceandjoelroberts said...

Thanks so much everyone! Last night was more of the same, and the hardest part is she's not mad crying, she's just yelling, come in here and hang out with me and smiling and cooing. Its very cute, but much cuter during the day than at 4am!! Thanks for all the tips, we'll keep trying, and you're right, I am definitely going to miss this!!