Thursday, January 21, 2010

Check One Two

A few weeks ago, we decided now was a good time to sell the bedroom furniture that was currently in my office. I posted the bed, mattress/box spring and bed side tables and on Monday all of it was gone! I love Craigslist!

Since the office was empty except for my desk, I thought now would be the easiest time to paint it. We're planning on moving down the guest bedroom furniture (to empty out the nursery) in the next few days and I knew once that happened the likelihood of painting wasn't great.

Last night we went to Sherwin Williams (we love our local store, they match the Lowes prices and have such better paints, in my opinion), picked up a gallon of Harmony paint and headed home. Here is a before shot of the office, you absolutely cannot tell how terrible the walls look in the picture. They were a mauve-pinkish-gray, sort of like if you took watered down pepto and mixed it with dirt and asphalt :-). A light version of that, I really think it might be the color I like least in the world. The whole house was painted that color and we're slowly covering it all up!
**Side note, I think we're going to paint that little dresser in the corner and put it in the nursery also. It looks like it belongs in a nursery doesn't it?
A shot of what my desk really looks like. Organizing this is also on the list!

We picked out antique white and got to painting. I think we painted this room in record time. From start to having all the brushes cleaned out was about an hour and a half. It was great. Also, the last time Judy was here she bought us an edger and a good paint brush. I think those two things made all the difference. Joel used the edger and we didn't have to tape at all (good thing because I ran out after one doorway and part of a wall!). Judy we missed you, it didn't seem right without you here while we were painting :-)


Here are a few after painting shots. Its really time for me to learn how to use our camera because I just can't get any colors to show up accurately. What it looks like in person is a soft neutral with warm yellow tones in it. I love it, and it looks CLEAN which the mauve didn't! Has anyone taken a good (cheap) online class for a digital SLR camera? I've been reading through the manual (SLOWLY) but would love to learn about the camera and photoshop.

So here's our most updated to do list, we add and check off things daily (hopefully checking off more than we add). The starred items are what we need done before Ruthie's arrival and the rest needs to happen soon after, but isn't as pressing.


Off subject, we finally got Chloe a bed for downstairs and we almost have to drag her out of it she loves it so much. My Dad says it looks like she's sleeping on a thimble, I'll have to get a picture of that. The longer she sleeps in it, the more she seems to ooze out of it. She cracks us up!

On a sadder note, it seems our poor beloved avocado tree may have bitten the dust. We left it outside while we were in Washington not knowing the temperatures were going to drop to the teens consistently and I think he may be beyond hope. I'm not giving up, and hopefully he'll spring back after I give him a major prune.

Joel did plant last week papaya seeds which is one of our new projects. One of our neighbors has 2 trees that are about 10 feet tall each, so it can be done here!!

The next step is going to be moving the furniture to the office and then painting the nursery! I can't wait for it to all come together and will post finished pictures of the office when everything is done! Making progress!

No comments: