Tuesday, January 5, 2010

2009 Recap and 2010 Resolutions

2009 was the first year I have set a resolution and completed it! My goal last year was to read the bible in a year. I chose a plan that read one old testament passage, one new testament passage, a psalm, and a proverb. I loved this plan and highly recommend it to anyone doing this. I finished Dec. 31, and it was such a great feeling of accomplishment. I will admit this past year was more of a surface reading time in the mornings, but it is amazing what I learned just from that. Here are a few things I learned:

-There is absolutely no substitution, replacement, whatever for reading the bible. I've often thought that if I just read a study book that was sufficient and a way to learn about God and be close to him. For some people it may be, but for me it is not.
-My day doesn't feel right if I don't start off reading.
-I am amazed at the detail of the stories in the bible.
-I am amazed at the similarity between the stories in the bible and issues and troubles we face today.
-I am amazed at God.
-I am amazed at the truths in the bible.
-I am amazed at what a guidebook for life the bible is.
-I am so thankful for all the passages on children, parenting and marriage. I wish I'd written down the parenting passages!
-There are so many more things to list I could go on and on.

As far as 2010 goes, I have a new list of resolutions and hopefully having them on this blog will keep me more accountable.
-Read the bible again this year. I am going to do the same plan as last year, but this year read more of the notes of the bible and try and understand it more.
-Write down the parenting and marriage passages to be a constant reminder for what God wants us to be.
-Do things immediately. I tend to put things off for later what could be done now. I've been doing it for a whopping 3 days now and it really has made a difference in organization for me. This is a big one for me and one I'm focused on.
-Keep our home visitor ready (translation-clean and organized). This is something I'm terrible at. I don't see the mess and clutter until someone else is in our home. Then I'm horrified at how it looks as I can see every spec of dust crystal clear when a guest is around.
-Make a cleaning schedule and stick to it. I would like to have one day for vacuuming, one day for bathrooms, etc. and do it every week.
-Make new friends and be a good friend.
-Spend more time outside.
-Be more like my Mom.
-Be a good neighbor.
-Have a healthy baby girl.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Haha, I've been meaning to make a cleaning schedule too! It didn't help that I misplaced the pledge for two weeks-Yuck!

Jacki R. said...

I hear you on the clean house! Mine gets its best cleaning right before visitors are coming :(

I heard about this Fly Lady from several moms at church. You can sign up for a daily e-mail and her theory is if you just spend 15 minutes a day cleaning various things, you will always have a clean house! http://flylady.net/

Of course, I have yet to institute her plan!

Graceandjoelroberts said...

Hi Jacki,
That site is awesome! I just signed up and am shining my sink :-). I hope it changes my life like the site says ;-). I'll keep you posted!!