Wednesday, October 5, 2011

House update

I know these have been very few and far between and a lot has gone on in our house in the past month or so! I'll start with the kitchen.

As I blogged before My Dad and Joel assembled and installed the kitchen cabinets and we absolutely love them. We added about 15 inches to our kitchen and it has made it feel so much bigger without feeling like we've lost space anywhere else.
After looking at countertops (a lot), we decided to bite the bullet and get granite from Lowes. They were running a deal (which I'm sure is on a constant rotation), and it made the countertops really pretty comparable in price to formica, which made the decision much easier. I was thinking it would be double or triple the price and it wasn't, so that was a nice surprise.
They arrived to put in the countertops and I fell in love. I had no idea I loved (or cared about) granite and apparently I really like the shiny-ness.

The installers did a great jobRuthie and I stayed away for the last 30 minutes or so while they used the chemicals. Because of this, I didn't get a real close look at them.

See where this is going?

So fast forward and Joel gets home, we both talk about how much we love them and on and on.

Then he sees it.

They have a completely broken off corner (about 6 inches) that has been repaired. To their credit, they did a really nice job fixing it. The problems are, they've installed a broken countertop that is in a very vulnerable spot and will most likely break again, and two: we're only doing this once and we really want it done right.

I call the company that Lowes outsources to and they tell me they'll get the piece replaced.

Okay.

So they (a different set of installers) come back (this is about 2 weeks later, which is one week longer than they told me it would take) with the new piece to install it. I see them break the backsplash and think well maybe this is part of it and I'm not going to freak out...yet.


When they finish installing it, there was an immediate problem. They new piece was not even close to the rest of the countertops and the broken area was poorly put back together. I asked about the broken backsplash and he tells me it was already like that. I had a pretty big problem being lied to when I saw it happen with my own eyes. Let me also add that at this stage in the baby game, I've kind of lost my filter so I kind of need to think before I speak more than usual (which doesn't always happen). I knew the installers weren't the people to get into with, so I made several calls and yesterday the manager came out.
She was very nice and told me that the entire thing will have to be replaced (which is what we originally thought). I (as nice as I could) explained that it really has to be completed now and that if we have more problems the next time, I was in no uncertain terms going to completely flip out and take a different route in getting this taken care of(again, no filter). According to the countertop company, the new (third) countertops will be in by the middle of next week, so hopefully by the end of next week I'll have pictures of it finished!


I believe we're going to be very happy with it and if I weren't really, really pregnant I wouldn't be as concerned with it, but let me tell you, things here need to be done NOW. I've hit the nesting full on and I don't want a new, nursing baby, Ruthie and me around these chemicals and dust and installers in our house. I'll update on the countertops next week! Hopefully its a good update and I don't go pregnancy crazy on anyone ;-).

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Ugh, isn't that the worst??? I hope the third time's a charm! We put granite in our kitchen recently, and I had no idea how much I'd like it either. :)

I hope you're feeling well! Won't be much longer before you have two beautiful little girls!!! I hope the renovations get done in time for you!

Tara said...

I love the color you picked out and pray that they get it right! Can't wait to see more about your kitchen soon!

Jacki R. said...

Unbelievable! It seems remodeling projects always have a hitch or two. Glad you are on top of it though! May next week bring closure and unbroken countertops :)

Sara said...

i think you handled it better than most super pregnant people. i would not have been so nice. :)

but they ARE very shiny, it looks awesome!