Thursday, December 16, 2010

Good Eats-French Dip Sandwiches

This is the original recipe I tried off of Leah's blog and it got me hooked on Our Best Bites. This is a delicious recipe made in the crock pot (always a favorite) and one of Joel's absolute favorites.


I buy meat when it is on clearance whenever possible and freeze it.


For this recipe you need

-2 packets onion soup mix
-beef broth
-water
-beef (I used bottom round this time)


In the morning, I cut as much fat off the meat as possible and usually I salt/pepper it. This time I forgot to, and to be honest, I couldn't tell any difference at all. I'm going to leave the salt out from now on and just use pepper.

I heat 1T of butter with a couple swirls of EVOO in a pan until it is really hot.


Then I put the meat in and sear all sides.


It smells like Sunday at Grandma's about this point and if you hadn't just cut off a ton of disgusting fat, you'd probably want to dig in right then.

After all sides are seared, stick it in your crock pot. Add two packets of onion soup mix, about 2 cans of beef broth



(I just barely cover the meat, then add water to cover it) and turn on high.


I leave it for about 6-8 hours and it is falling apart. It is incredible just like this.


We like to grab some hoagie rolls and toast them

,

put on some of the beef, cover it with cheese and broil it for a few minutes just to melt the cheese.



I put the au jus in a little bowl and we dip away! It is GREAT! If you haven't tried this one you definitely should.
I'm sure it would also be good just as a pot roast-ish and veggies/rice.



Hope you enjoy!!

5 comments:

Jess said...

Ok I'm drooling now! I'm going to have to try this asap. I love a good crockpot recipe :)

lee and hannah said...

YUM! we're having pot roast tonite from the crock pot... we LOVE french dip/philly cheesesteaks, though... gonna have to try this one :)

Tara said...

Grace, this is one of our favorite meals too! As a matter of fact, I've got it on our meal plan for this week:) Yummy!

Erika Trevathan said...

Yum! I will be trying this very soon!:)

Keely said...

I love a good Crockpot recipe ... thanks for sharing, looks YUMMY!