Friday, April 29, 2011

The Great Car Seat Debate

A while back we switched car seats from an infant carrier to a convertible car seat. We decided to go with the Britax Advocate CS. From my research, it was one of the best, safest carseats out there, also (unfortunately) expensive. We decided on that one because the store I was looking at was clearing out last years models and it was almost half off! Sold!

My question is, are you keeping your child rear-facing until age 2, or are you putting them forward facing at age 1? We haven't decided yet, but a majority of our friends have made the switch to front facing. The main reason is that their children turned 1 before the new recommendation and they won't change them back to rear facing after being able to see the world. I think I would do the same thing.

Whats your verdict, rear facing or forward facing?

10 comments:

The Dixon Spot said...

I decided to leave Cole facing back until he absolutely cant stand it anymore. I did however move him to the side because I just literally couldn't lift him to the middle of our car anymore. He loves looking out the window, so Im hoping that will help!

Jacki R. said...

This is a tough one! Of course you want what is safest, but it makes a huge difference once they can see what's going on in front of them.

We had to wait until Emma was 1 1/2 as it was, because she wasn't over 20 pounds until then. Maybe you can see how things go for the first few months after her birthday?! Although, it doesn't sound like she'll be 20 pounds by next week anyhow! Also ask the doc when you go in for her next check up!

Baze Days said...

We had to switch Hudson when he was 10 months old to front facing. He was so big. His legs were bent in rear facing. It makes life so, so much easier. Ask your doctor what they think. Of course you want to do what is best for Ruthie but it seems like a silly new rule to me.

lee and hannah said...

we flipped eden around to face forward... its much easier to hand her her sippy cup, book, etc. that she may have dropped and she LOVES riding facing forward. we were beginning to have issues at night when it was dark because with our tinted windows facing the back, she simply couldn't see anything!!

so, forward for us!!

Erika Trevathan said...

I turned Hailey and MaryKathryn at 1yr because that was the recommended guidelines at the time. Both were getting pretty tight in their rear facing infant carrier but my husband is a police officer and just wouldn't turn them until they reached a year(both did not reach 20pds till after 1yr) And trust me I begged b/c they did not like facing the rear. But with Bella I think since she is outgrowing her infant carrier I am going to go on and get her a bigger one that can do rear or forward and leave her facing rear as long as she will tolerate it. Definitely a highly debatable topic. But as an ER nurse and police officer my husband and I have seen some pretty tragic accidents involving children and I am def going to air on the side of caution:)

Tara said...

At the time that Nathan and Natalie turned 1, we flipped them around because they were 20 pounds and that was the recommendation at that time. However, now that Samuel and Samantha have turned 1, the recommendations are different. Samuel is over 20 pounds, but Samantha hasn't met that weight yet :) So they are still facing backward and we will probably keep them that way until they start really raising a fit!

Keely said...

I didn't switch Easton to front facing when he turned one, and I don't plan to do so until he is much older. He is content sitting rear-facing, and I feel it is safest so I will leave him that way as long as possible :-)

Jamie said...

I'd do rear facing until it's 90 degrees outside and she's sweating bullets even w the windows down. There's just no air circulation when they're rear facing. I definitely think it's a good idea to stay rear as long as you can though.

Jess said...

We're going to flip her around. Peyton is long and her legs are already crammed up against the seat. She's a few lbs over the 20lb recommendation too. My husband is a police officer and knows more than any person should about crashes. He has a whole impact theory and I definitely trust his judgement.
Just do what makes you feel most comfortable!

TeresaG said...

Aiden is rear facing...20 months and counting! After seeing some videos on youtube and reading the statistics I decided that there was no harm in keeping him rear-facing...so far so good! He loves the little mirror I have back there so we can see each other!