You know....because I knew exactly what kind of Mom I would be.
It wasn't that I thought I was a genius, or that other people didn't know how to raise their children, it was just that there were certain things I would do or wouldn't do. Period. Black and white. No problemo, no questions asked.
Hah.
Since I've enjoyed these conversations so much, I thought I'd share with you all and hopefully you would get a kick out of it also.
Before I had a baby..
-I said I would NEVER ride in the the backseat. I didn't see why Mom's couldn't separate themselves from their baby long enough for a car ride home. I mean really, its just a car ride.
Now....
I'm in the backseat baby. I learned (quickly) it has absolutely NOTHING to do with separating, and EVERYTHING to do with sanity. What baby wants to be bored in the backseat alone? And more importantly, what parent wants to listen to their baby scream from boredom when it is so easily fixed by playing with your baby and keeping them entertained.... from the backseat.
Before I had a baby..
-I said I would NEVER put a baby in the bed with us. Its just training them to never stop, baby's can sleep in their cribs, and on and on.
Now...
I think it was actually just yesterday morning I said to Joel, "Just bring her in here", and it definitely wasn't the first time. I learned that sometimes, you just have to do what you have to do, and you just have to sleep. period. For us its not a common thing, we've probably done that less than a handful of times, mainly because I have such a fear that one of us will roll on her or elbow her or something like that, that its more stressful than its worth. **sometimes**
Before I had a baby:
-I thought it was ridiculous to have so many huge toys (saucey, jumperoo, swing, playmat, all those containment toys). I couldn't understand why I needed to register for them when was she really going to care at all?? Can't I just give her some tupperware and use the money for diapers?
Now...
The more containment toys the better!
Before I had a baby..
-I said I would never be one of those Mom's who took up the entire aisle with the stroller. Your baby is 8 pounds, can't you just hold it instead of pushing a stroller big enough to hold me through this store?
Now...I ALWAYS have the stroller. I had NO CLUE how hard it would be to shop with a baby who wants to grab EVERYTHING. I run the stroller into aisles, people, you name it, on accident of course. I am now that person.
Before I had a baby..
-I decided I would be a laid back, easy going, non-stressing Mom. I thought I'd be this way about naps, schedules, sickness, you name it. Because when your baby spikes a fever, you can decide to be relaxed.
Wrong.
For the most part, I think we are both pretty laid back. However, last week when I looked at Ruthie's hand and saw two unknown bites and her tiny little hand puffed up like the marshmallow man's at least 2 sizes bigger than normal...yeah I freaked out. I called the doctor, Joel and my Mom about 20 times each while I was on my way to the doctor (after making a pit stop at the pharmacist to see if they thought she needed benadryl immediately). Thankfully, she was fine but I've learned that sometimes, getting freaked out sometimes is pretty much part of being a Mom.
I also learned that for us, not being laid back about schedules, naps, etc. makes our lives less stressful, more easy going and more laid back. Everyone is happier when the baby gets good naps when she is supposed to nap. Lately, I've been more flexible about that one, but 95% of the time, it just isn't worth it.
Before I had a baby..
-I couldn't understand all the screaming baby's on planes. Can't you just give your child a toy, food, or something to calm them down.
Oh man, was I an idiot.
I think after you have a baby, you have a completely different level of compassion for a lot of things. Now when I hear a baby cry on a plane, first, I feel terrible for the baby. Maybe its ears are hurting, teeth are hurting, or just having a hard time going to sleep. Second, I feel absolutely horrible for the parents. No parent wants to have the screaming baby and I'm pretty sure they would do ANYTHING in their power to get it to stop. I feel the same way about crying baby's in restaurants or pretty much anywhere now.Before I had a baby..
-I didn't understand why people needed to share their birth stories? We know you went into labor and ended up with a baby. All the details in the middle I don't need to know.
Now...I love baby stories. I like to talk with people about their hospital/birth experience, find out what was good/bad. All that stuff.
One of my favorites from my friends:
-I said I would never want or have a minivan. Now I go test drive them for fun, and drool over the automatic side door in the process.
Now when I hear pregnant women or people who don't have children say things they will never do, or things they think will happen, I just smile and think to myself that I want to talk to them in another year and hear if things have changed. Things have definitely changed for me. I think "Never" is the magic word that in time translates to absolutely 95% will happen. :-)
I'd love to hear your 'when I knew it all' pre-children stories, or things you think you'll never do as a parent. Let me know if you put them on your blog or leave me a comment. When you start talking to people about these things, it is hilarious what everyone thought/and now thinks!!
11 comments:
I said I'd never let my kids eat just french fries and drink sprite when we went out to dinner. Now, Savannah can order this without prompting and with perfect manners.
I said I'd never buy light up tennis shoes or wear character clothing, now my kids have light up Disney Character shoes.
I always thought my daughter would wear perfect little bows and have perfectly styled hair every day. Now we're lucky if Savannah will even let us brush her hair, let alone put a simple clip in it.
I always said I wouldn't have whiney children, that you can teach your kids not to whine...yeah right.
I never thought I'd be a yeller...but seriously when it takes someone 3 minutes to decide between milk or water...my patience runs thin.
However Grace...I still don't get the backseat thing! :) Haha.
hahaha this post is hilarious!!! It's so true though, your opinion must totally change after having kiddos!!
Haha, I love this! Don't feel bad, Peyton is 6 months old and I still ride in the backseat with her the majority of the time. She's super high energy and just gets bored back there by herself, who can blame her?!
I also completely agree about feeling different when you hear a baby crying when you're out to eat or shopping. It used to annoy me and I didn't get why the Mom wouldn't just "fix" it. I totally get it now and it makes me want to go over and help!
I swore I'd never spend all my time talking about baby stuff...how much she poops, what she's eating, teething, naps, how she made the cutest sound today, etc... YEAH RIGHT! I guess that's why most Mommies hang out with other Mommies. I'm sure my poor friends without kids can't stand it, but I just tell myself they'll understand soon enough :)
Best Post ever!!!!
Before I had Cole I said I would never do alot of things!
1- I would not let Cole have a wet onesie on due to drooling....phllease, if I changed his onesie everytime he got drool on it, we would be changing clothes all day!
2- I would never agree to a c-section! Thank God for a c-section...bring on the cutting knife! LOL
3- I def thought the only time my baby would cry would be if they were hungry....Im still laughing at that thought!
I told myself I would not be the mom in line at the grocery store who's child throws a fit because they can't get candy...But, I've stood right there and completely ignored a breakdown. Now the kids no not to even bother asking:)
Love this one Grace! I've had many of these moments in my parenting career, but perhaps the one that I live with daily is "I will never put my kids in clothes with characters on them, or shoes, etc." It seems like everything we have is either Princess Aurora or Lightning McQueen now, from the toys, to the PJs, to the tennis shoes! Never say never!
SO. STINKIN'. FUNNY.
...and trueeeee!!
hahaha... i will steal your idea for a post and do it once november's over...
i am so compassionate when i hear a baby crying in a restaurant, etc... sometimes i have the urge to run over there to see if i can help...
This is so funny!
Before I was a mom I said I would NEVER have chlildrens cd's in the car. And now I have to listen to certain songs over and over and do a dance while driving just to make Hudson happy!
I love it :) I think there are so many things in life that this can apply to, but definitely pre and post baby is a good one! Miss you!
This is a great one...I think I will have to write one for my blog!!!
Fabulous post, Grace ... many of which I can relate to, especially the babies crying on the plane/in the restaurant & all of the crazy toys!
One addition: Both Jason & I agreed that we'd never give our baby a paci. I am pretty sure Easton was only a week or two old the first time he got one. Too funny!
Post a Comment