Sunday, August 8, 2010

A little story I find funny

There is one memory I want to keep that I had when I was pregnant....mainly because it was so incredibly ridiculous. Now that I've had our little munchkin and have been through one labor and delivery, I find what I expected labor to be absolutely hilarious. For example....

Like most people now, I made a playlist.

I was convinced I wanted music I found relaxing playing. I thought it would give me something to concentrate on and relax to. I was certain that would make all the difference in the world since I knew it would relax me.

A few artists I had on my playlist were:
-Jack Johnson (no surprise there)
-Bob Marley
-James Taylor
-Lady A
-songs from the Phantom of the Opera
and on and on

I thought I would get to the hospital and walk and walk and walk and when I couldn't walk I would sway to the beat of the songs to help me through it.

I actually believed that and I had visualized it numerous times while pregnant. It was the way it was going to happen.

I thought I could dance my way through labor. To the beat. Not Joking.

H A H.

I completely left out the idea of my water breaking and walking AT ALL being OUT the window. I also didn't think the contractions would be so intense and back to back that I wouldn't even hear any noise let alone dance to it.

I believe that if I actually had any time between contractions, maybe...maybe I could've listened to music. That's a very loose maybe because I really think if had time in between contractions, hopefully I would've tried to sleep and not have a dance party while trying to deliver a baby.

I have heard of the 'labor dance'. I can't imagine being able to do it or feeling the need to do it. I couldn't hardly open my eyes, let alone move my body to a beat.

This is not to scare any soon to be Moms, really the day I had Ruthie I would've immediately done it again and was actually sad it was over. That surprised me.

If we're fortunate enough to have other children, I'll have a better understanding of what to expect. Even though the labor and delivery will probably be different, the next time I won't be expecting a choreographed dance to Phantom of the Opera along with a baby. I think I'll just take the baby.

:-)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

There are days I'd rather give birth again than be at work. I completely understand what you are saying!