Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Yum!! New recipes!

This week we've had a few yummy dinners I thought I'd pass along. The first is apricot chicken. A friend made this for us after Lainie was born and man is it good. I unfortunately didn't take any pictures, but trust me, this is worth making (even though it doesn't sound as appealing from the ingredients).
Ingredients:
Chicken Breasts or strips
1/2 jar of apricot jelly
1/2 jar russian dressing (HT has it, Food Lion does not)
1 pack of onion soup/dip mix
Prepare chicken and place in a greased baking dish (I use spray)-mix the jelly, dressing and onion mix together and pour it over the chicken
Bake 45 minutes or until done
Serve over rice
Trust me...try this one...soon. Its oh so good. I saw this recipe online (after we already had it) that converted it to a crock pot recipe and I tried that, don't do it. Bake it, its way better.
Since I forgot to take a picture, this one should do! Its way cuter than the chicken!
The next recipe we had was Orange chicken (online it said it was similar to Panda Express..I was sold). I found it on sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com. They have a huge recipe index that I'm excited to start trying. The next time I make this I would modify this (I listed that below), but here is the exact recipe we tried.
Ingredients:•
boneless chicken breasts, chopped into small chunks (I used two and there was a little too much sauce)
•1/3 cup flour
• olive oil
• 1/2 Tbl. salt
• 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
• 3 Tbl. ketchup
• 6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate (thaw or throw it in the microwave for 45 seconds)
• 4 Tbl. brown sugar
-In a bowl, mix the orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, and ketchup. Pour the flour in a small bowl. Cover the chicken breast chunks in flour and shake off the excess.Pour a small amount of olive oil in a skillet and brown the flour-covered chicken.The chicken doesn't need to be fully cooked since it's going in the crock pot.
-After the chicken is done cooking, pour the pieces into the crock pot. Then cover the chicken with your sauce mixture and give the pot a stir.
-Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3. Serve with rice.
Not the best picture, but the only one I remembered to take!
**What I would change** I would use less ketchup and a little more brown sugar and only cook it on low for probably 3-4 hours. It had a bite that was almost really good but a little too much.

2 comments:

leah said...

YUM these recipes do sound amazing, can't wait to try them out!

Linda said...

Always on the lookout for new recipes...thanks!