Monday, February 13, 2012

Good Eats-Chowder style

This weekend, I happen to catch PW on Food Network and she was making corn and cheese chowder. Since its been freezing here the past few days, it sounded perfect. Even, better was that I had all the ingredients, which seems to be a rareity when I see something on tv or online I want to make.
It was delicious and definitely something you should make! You start out chopping an onion and sauteeing it in butter (I forgot to take a picture of that!).
Then chop up a few slices of bacon and throw it in with the onion. At this point, I would stop for a few minutes and just sniff. Man, it smells some kind of good!
Then add a few chopped peppers to the mix.
Add a bunch of corn (to be exact). This is what I used, plus one can of crisp sweet yellow corn.
After its all cooked together for a few minutes, sprinkle 1/4 cup of flour on top and stir.
After it is dissolved, pour in 3 cups of chicken broth and stir. Then add 2 cups of half and half. Cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
I then added about 1 1/2 cups of pepper jack cheese and maybe a 1/2 cup of mexican blend cheese.
Verdict: Wow, it is really good! What I put above is exactly what I did and probably a little different from PW. She says serve immediately, and we didn't do that (she probably doesn't have to make dinner during nap time, although I think she probably used to). It was still really good later and even better with some crusty bread.
Next time, I hope to put some crab in it or clams which I'm sure would be even better. Hope you enjoy!

No comments: