Wednesday, January 26, 2011

LIfejacket....Not gonna work!

In preparation for our big spring and summer ahead, full of warm weather and boat time on the Teeny Girl, we bought Ruthie a life jacket.

The nice man at the store, explained to me all about coast guard ratings, safety, sizing, etc. He also told me that there is little difference between the $19 life jacket versus the $65 life jacket.

He was speaking my language. Same product value for that much less, sign me up!

Now I have to say I do think what he said about the options they had at that store were essentially the same. They were all the same material, bulk, etc. The cost difference really came from the prints on the life jackets. For that much money, we were fine passing on the floral one!

The price seemed awesome, we were excited about it....and then this happened

and this

and this was the last straw for her

and its pretty safe to say... She absolutely HATES IT! This life jacket is supposed to go up to 50lbs and I have no idea whatsoever how a 50lb child could fit into it. I do not think it is possible. It was so tight on Ruthie and we had to loosen the straps almost all the way. She is not nearly as amused as we were!

It is also safe to say, I will be returning this tomorrow and looking for the neoprene life jackets....which I will be trying on her in the store!

As my Mom reminded me, when we were growing up, having comfortable life jackets made all the difference in our boating fun and she was right. We need to find one that is comfortable, safe and can be worn a lot ;-). I've got big plans for this summer!!

If I'm good at anything in life, it is returning things I buy, so this is pretty much par for the course.

6 comments:

Sara said...

haha, we did the exact same thing! except ethan was more expressive about is discomfort. http://joeandsarat.blogspot.com/2010/05/birthday-money.html

Erika Trevathan said...

Oh this post cracked me up! Poor little Ruthie having to endure that life jacket!! She most definitely needs something more comfortable than that!:)

leah said...

oh my gosh that is just hilarious. Ruthie's faces just crack me up! Neoprene is the way to go for sure

Jamie said...

What is it about seeing your children dressed in ridiculous get-ups that is HILARIOUS! It almost (add emphasis to almost) seems cruel to laugh so hard at any person right to her face, but you just can't help it. They just look so stinking cute! I love these pics!

Side note- the word I have to type in below for verification is quite ironic... it's bully. Haha!! That's funny!

Jess said...

Let me know what kind you end up getting! I have to get Peyton one..we spend a lot of time at the lake and beach during the summer!

TeresaG said...

We had the same problem last summer with Aiden...he would go into atomic meltdown mode every time I put the jacket on him!!! The neoprene worked much better!