Friday, September 6, 2013

Ellie B. Month 1

Somehow our sweet, tiny Ellie is already a month old.  The fastest month of my life to date.  I'm guessing with each child, time moves faster.  Here are Ellie's updates (in a stream of thought fashion):
-She's big, to be accurate :-).  At her 2 weeks doctors appointment, she was up to 8lbs, 2oz (the goal is to be back to their birth weight, which was 7lbs 6oz.  This girls an overachiever already).

-She's in 3-6 month clothes and size 1 diapers.  We got lots of newborn diapers from the hospital (if you're about to have a baby, keep asking for diapers when you're in the hospital), and for the first time she outgrew them before we ran out. I've tried a few times to put newborn diapers on her during the day, only to have to add to my outrageous pile of laundry.
-I think she is looking more like Joel, which is no surprise.  Its just amazing we can have three children that don't really look alike, but they all look like him.  I'm not totally sold that she will completely look like him yet, but she definitely has the chin.  Her eyes are big and the eyebrows are more like mine, so we'll see. She can furrow her brow which is a trademark of our children.
-She's got Joel's dark skin and I'm fairly confident her eyes are lightening up to blue.
-Shes EASY!  I think this is a combination of realizing just how easy a new baby is compared to toddlers, and her being easy.  She does cry, usually when most baby's cry between 5-8 pm, but its not bad and usually is just because she's tired (and mainly we've learned that's what baby's do, we accepted it and went with it).
-Praise Jesus she will take a bottle! The first of our baby's to take a bottle!  I'm nursing her (all the time), but I can leave her if I have to.
-She eats every 3ish hours, usually starting around 7:30am and going around the clock.  I'm hoping to get our schedule where she gets up at 6:30am, but for now sleep is winning.
-I'm trying very hard to get her into an eat, wake, sleep cycle during the day.  She falls into a hard sleep eating. Changing her diaper is a sure way to wake her up.
-She hates having her clothes or diaper changed.  And getting a bath.




-I've been working to nail down her nap schedule, its going to have to be fluid.  She's done great and is currently taking her first nap in the swing. I've tried to get her to nap everywhere possible, the crib, swing, pack n play, carrier, car seat, etc.  Her favorite is in your arms, which is our favorite too!


-We're going on week 2 of her sleeping in the crib.  Some nights are a success, others not so much.
-Her longest sleep stretch was 5 hours.  Incredible.  Now I have to figure out how to replicate it.
-She is so close to smiling!
-She is hugged and kissed and loved a lot!

-She's really focusing on people and objects.  She tracks you across the room.
-She was a little jaundiced.  I could only see it in her eyes. I called the doctor who said not to bring her in since she was growing so well.
-She is fascinated with the pictures above our couch.  All three girls have loved them.
-She's our child, of course she's swaddled.

-We're trying to get her to love the paci.  She tolerates it but doesn't love it yet.  I'm using the Playtex binky one with Ellie, and I tried the soothies from the hospital.  She spits them both out and tries to find a finger.  We do not want her to suck her thumb, so I'll keep pulling it out and using a paci.


-She likes to be held upright just like Lainie.
-She has had the hiccups more in the last month, than I have my entire life.
-She's super still.  This is new also, Lainie and Ruthie were always moving even as newborns.  She will just lay on you and not move.  She's very peaceful (until she's uncomfortable).
-She spits up.  This is a new thing for me.  About once every 4-5 days, she'll throw up an entire meal.  Its incredible how much comes out. It doesn't make her made and she doesn't act like she feels bad, it just is what it is. I asked the doc who said some babies just do that.
-She is a complete joy, there isn't much better that this right here!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

She is NOT one month already? Holy cow! That was the fastest month of my life! It sounds like you guys are adjusting well to a family of 5. I hope the same holds true for us.