Wednesday, March 27, 2013

DIY Laundry Detergent

This is hopefully the first of several posts about things we've changed over to making in our house.  I'll have more explanation of the why coming up but for now, here is the laundry detergent we've been using:

1/2 cup grated soap (my current favorite is dove basics, plus I already had it!)
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soap
~1/2 cup of oxi-clean (this isn't necessary, i just had it in my laundry room and added it)

Grate the soap up, I've seen several people use food processors, but we don't have one so I use the box grater.

Mix all together and use 2-4T per load.   It is a huge help if you have a super cute helper to mix, plus a bunny for good measure.

*Note 1/2 cup of soap works out to be about 1/2 bar of soap, so I've been doubling the recipe so I don't have a 1/2 bar of soap laying around.

We've been using this for about a month now and are loving it.  Everything is getting clean and I'm not spending a fortune on laundry detergent (I couldn't coupon it as cheap as this is thusfar).  I've seen several recipes for liquid detergent, but we've had problems with it spilling on our floor (ever tried to clean that up? It is slippery for MONTHS!), so we stick with the dry stuff. 

The other DIY recipes we've done that will hopefully be up soon: baby shampoo, homemade lotion, a few recipe basics, foaming hand soap, facial cleanser.

Recipes I want to try: sunscreen, bug spray, not sure what else. The more I make the more I want to make!



2 comments:

leah said...

So excited you are doing this! My cousin makes all her own stuff and I have it on my list to try too!

Linda said...

Interesting in the foaming hand soap and have the ingredients for powdered dishwasher soap. Will have to give this a try!