What a bummer. After 19 days of having a fever, cough, chills, hot flashes, zero energy and on and on, I *finally* went to a different doctor today (other than the OB). I honestly thought the OB would be the best person to see since they **should** be concerned with my health and the health of the baby. I was wrong, they are not the best person to see for something like this.
The doctor I saw was straight-forward, serious, took me serious (something I don't think my OB does), and was all over me for waiting so long to come in. My OB told me it could be 2 1/2 weeks with a fever, so I just thought this was the way it would go. Wrong, wrong wrong. Just so we're keeping track this is about stike 15 for my current ob, who I had absolutely no problems whatsoever with prior to this pregnancy. After this baby, I will be finding a new doctor, which is really disappointing but has to happen. If I was early in this pregnancy I would try and change, but I can't imagine its a great idea to change in your 3rd trimester (SERIOUSLY!!! third trimester already?????)
Thankfully, I'm on an antibiotic which he said should make me feel like a new person within a few days, and is safe while pregnant. I'm really excited about that. I have been absolutely worthless for almost three weeks and would have been in a HUGE mess had my in-law's not been here to step in and help out 100%. I feel terrible because I've pretty much missed their entire summer trip, but couldn't be more thankful that their trip coincided with this sickness.
Things I've learned from this:
-My Mom is always right (I'm pretty sure I say that about once a week, and its getting more frequent). Both her and my Dad (and my sister) have been telling me for about 2 weeks a fever this long is not okay.
-My OB does not take me seriously, and I have to be my own advocate. period.
-I need a doctor who does take me seriously, especially when pregnant.
-You should never have a fever for more than 4 days. If you do, go to the doctor and don't try and suffer through it. Its not smart and really not worth it.
-My in-laws are priceless, and I am so fortunate to have them (something I already knew, but nothing like getting knocked out and having two people spend their entire vacation taking care of your child, house, etc to affirm it.) For the past three weeks I've had a nanny, cook, laundry fairy, dishwasher unloader, house renovation helper, all pretty much while I laid on the couch worthless.
-When you're pregnant and sick, you need your family.
To me the main sign I should've known something was really wrong more than just a virus......Super doubles have been going on at Harris Teeter since Wednesday and I haven't gone ONCE! Ahhhhhhhh, it pains me to type that, but I just can't get off the couch.
I hope to be feeling great and blogging more soon. I'm over feeling worthless!
8 comments:
Grace, I am so sorry!!! So glad that you are on antibiotics now and should be feeling better very soon. But pneumonia is never something to mess around with. No wonder you were feeling so terrible!
Oh man so sorry you are sick!! Very glad that you finally went to a regular doctor and are on medicine to make you feel better!
WOW Grace...so sorry you have been so miserable! I hope these antibiotics work for you!!!! You are so right though...you are your own advocate!!!
I'm sooo glad you have some medicine! I had bronchitis when I was pregnant with Harper and it was awful! I also wanted to tell you I had to switch OB's in my 3rd trimester when I was pregnant with Harper because we moved, and it really wasn't bad at all. I just asked some of my friends who they recommended, called them up, made an appointment and switched! I was very comfortable with my new Dr and had an awesome delivery! She was definitely an advocate for what I wanted. Hang in there, and know that it can be done if you want to :-)
My goodness, I'm so glad to hear you are on some antibiotics to help you get better fast! I'm just sorry it lasted so long before you got a good diagnosis :( It might be worth looking into meeting with a new OB to see if you felt more comfortable with them leading into delivery.
Yikes Grace! That sounds horrible. And pneumonia DEFINITELY is not something to mess around with. Especially when your immune system is already down from being pregnant. Your OB definitely should have hopped right on that when you told them your symptoms. If you aren't comfortable with your OB it probably wouldn't be so bad to switch. You definitely have to be your own advocate. Hope you feel better soon!!:)
holy moly! i'm sorry you've been so sick. it's doubly bad to be sick and pregnant at the same time. hope you're feeling better now!
I am so sorry you have been so sick. Hope you start feeling better very soon. xo
Post a Comment